Tuesday, October 24, 2006

South Beach Diet...(for Cats)

Still slogging away at my exams. Finished one more last Friday. One written, timed exam to go. My heart is on taking it this Friday, too. Though waiting 'til Monday may be the more realistic option. I just soooo want to have my weekend finally free. Keeping my head in the books, but in the meantime, life delights in unexpected ways. Here's one.

My cat Felix. There's never been another one like him. This summer I discovered, for instance, that he goes bonkers for corn husks. There was a husk hanging out of the bottom crisper drawer one day and Felix started gnawing on it with obvious delight. After that I tried to keep fresh corn around, and each day would peel off a leaf of the husk and let him go at it. He would rapturously consume it every time.

A couple days ago I decided to pick up the South Beach diet again--wanting to shed a few pounds that seem to have wandered back over the past year or so. Well, turns out Felix loves just about everything I'm eating these days. Now whenever I sit down to eat my snack (usually string cheese or Laughing Cow cheese on celery) he's right beside me, meowing, yowling, and nudging my plate and hands until I give something up. I've also felt compelled to share some salmon and tuna with him, too. He gobbled the tuna down with such obvious joy. (Certainly more than I could muster as I dragged myself through that particular salad!)

What a dear companion he is. :) I dunno, maybe he's trying to lose a few pounds, too. Here's an especially undignified photo of him squashed up beside me on the sofa.


5 comments:

kwpershey said...

Wow, you're making so much progress. AND taking the time and energy to take care of yourself, too.

I love string cheese and cats. :-)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I am so proud of you!

Revem said...

Continuing to think of you during your exams.

Unknown said...

Take care of yourself going through your exams, and now taking care of yourself.

I don't know, but I have big cat that could use the South Beach Diet herself.

Theresa Coleman said...

He's beautiful. Even all squashed up.
I had a cat who liked raisins and fresh cherry tomatoes.
I just can't figure out cats sometimes.