Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Venturing into the Great Unknown

I screwed up my courage this afternoon and dragged myself into the University library. D says this is such a strange thing for me to be afraid of--I usually love anything to do with books! But this place is so intimidating to me. I get awfully disoriented in there. And it all seems terribly IMPORTANT. :) I'm so much more comfortable in my little seminary library. That's on a manageable scale. The University's library is, well, too much of a good thing.

But I could put it off no longer. So today I went in, renewed my card, got my little map of the library's layout, and ventured into the recesses. Recesses is the right word for it, too. One of the reasons the place is so disorienting to me is that it's built down into the ground, not up like normal buildings. And to go down, you have to descend a huge spiral staircase. Today, as I wound myself around, desperately clinging to my little map, I felt like I was being spun 'round for a game of Pin the Tail on the Donkey! Only I was the one feeling like the ass. :)

Comps proposal? Nah. Nothin' to it. Big Unknown Library? Terrifying.

No comments: