Friday, January 27, 2006

Mom Moment I Wish I Had Back


E, the 7-year-old Beautiful Boy, had a really difficult morning today. It was just one of those days. He had to take a shower in the morning, because he'd put it off last night. And for some reason, it was suddenly the most dreadful idea to him in all the world. And he resisted. And resisted. And resisted.

At the end of the 40-minute ordeal, all three of us at our wits end, E shut the bathroom door resigned (for the moment) that the shower was going to happen whether he wanted it or not. It was not the result he wanted. Not by a long shot.

Then, from behind the door, D & I heard him mutter angerily, "Jesus!"

Now I don't know about you, but this is one thing I've never been able to accept, even after all of my liberalization over the years. When I heard this coming from his mouth, I lost it for a moment.

And this is what I did: I opened the door, started wagging my finger at him with every syllable as I said, "You cannot say that! Do not take the Lord's name in vain!" Then I closed the door, to his startled expression, and staggered back into the hallway. What? WHAT?! I felt like I'd been possessed by some Angry Scottish Presbyterian Preacher!

I sort of stumbled into the kitchen where D had retreated at the sudden, vehement spewing forth of Scripture. He saw my incredulity as I came into the room. "Thou Shalt Not!" He declared. And we both bust out laughing.

My favorite scene from the movie Saved is when the girl throws her Bible at her friend shouting, "I am so full of the love of Jesus!" Yep. That was me this morning.

2 comments:

kwpershey said...

Oh, goodness. What a story. I'm sure your son will be just fine, and it is good for him to see that you are passionate about your faith.

Anonymous said...

I too had a mom moment I desperately wished to take back recently.

http://marybethbutler.typepad.com/terrapin_station/2006/01/confession_is_g.html

Keep on keeping on!