Monday, May 01, 2006

Searching for Home (6th in a series)

Well, we have received the opportunity to apply for the apartment as seen in my previous entry. There is still one couple ahead of us, but it may be that our application could be stronger. Let us hope!

I've decided that the picture of the outside of this apartment really is not flattering. It looks better than the picture suggests. (Surely we've all had days like that!)

Yesterday afternoon the three of us went over to the ballfield directly across the street from the apartment and had a fabulous time playing together. We played catch, practiced fielding grounders and flyballs. Had some batting practice. And played a game where we tried to steal bases. (One of us would be the runner while the other two stood at each base and played catch. The trick is to get to the base before the ball.)

We had a blast and felt like we got a good sense of what it feels like to be in the neighborhood and in the park. While we there I called over to D that if we get offered the place, this was a terrific thing to do. If not, we're going to feel pretty sad for missing out. Alas.

It's okay, though. We're doing what we can. And if we don't get it, then another place will come along.

I talked with the guy at Nu-topia and it sounds like their timeline for lining up new tenants is not nearly what ours is. They can afford to be much more relaxed about the whole thing (especially since they're still constructing the place, for heaven's sake)! I also called the folks at the place closer to church and as of today there are no vacancies for a two-bedroom apartment. So the other top options are in some sense purely theoretical. :) As a PhD student, believe me, I love theory as much as anyone! But as a Mom, I like actuality even more. :)

Alright, I've got a major project due tomorrow in my Course Design class. So somehow I need to bracket out all this nervous energy and try and channel it creatively into reflections on my philosophy of teaching. Yeah, right.

(Thanks to everyone for all your encouraging notes and celebratory exclamations in recent days. I can't tell you how much it means to me. Thank you.)

No comments: