Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Conversations You Wish You Hadn't Overheard

Our landlord, standing below our living room window, talking with a contractor about retrofitting* our building. I heard two snippets clearly:

Contractor: "If the pressure is on this part then the whole building..."

and a few minutes later,

Landlord: "Well, I think the least expensive option would..."

I didn't hear the completion of either sentence. It's left up to my imagination and yours. If you lived here, how would you complete the sentences?

*Retrofitting, for those of you who live on solid ground, means to make a building more stable in the event of an earthquake.

2 comments:

cyen said...

Contractor: "If the pressure is on this part then the whole building..."
will be really structurally sound and able to withstand a large quake.

and a few minutes later,

Landlord: "Well, I think the least expensive option would..."
be out of the question, I want to protect my tenants first and foremost, so do what you think is the safest.

Hopefully this will make you (and me) feel better :)
FYI> Be sure you see a building inspector come out, and make sure you see a building permit before construction begins.

Anonymous said...

aside from moving to the east coast, i like cyen's sentences. i also would want the straight scoop from the landlord.