Friday, April 07, 2006

Arts Alive!

Songbird has asked us to relate five performances that have been meaningful to us over the years. So, here we go (listed in no particular order):

1. Yeah, I gotta admit that getting to see E perform in anything is just about the best performance experience I can think of. I think especially I remember his kindergarten performance of Raffi's song, "All I Really Need" ('is a song in my heart, food in my belly, and love in my family'). I was teary-eyed for that one because I still could remember so well holding him in my arms and singing to him that very song when he was an infant. Okay, sentimental. But true.

2. Vita and Virgina at Union Square Theater off-Broadway. Written by Eileen Atkins for herself and Vanessa Redgrave (both of whom were in the performance we saw). Based on the love letters between these two fabulous women.

3. Lost in Yonkers on Broadway a mere fourteen years ago, the weekend D & I were engaged (April 15, 1992).

4. Getting to play King Nebudkednezzer in the church play one Sunday morning when I was about ten years old. And realizing I loved performing. (Is that why I'm in liturgical studies today? Good grief!)

5. Getting to go to the symphony for the first time this year. Which you can read about here and here, if you're interested.

And now, dear Reader, I'm taking the day off. And, on top of that, the sun is shining for just about the first time in a month and a half. (You think I'm exaggerating, don't you? I'm not!)

1 comment:

see-through faith said...

Gla dhte sun is shining for you. It was dismal for two whole weeks in Tallinn and now when I got home Finland is the same. cold, grey and raining. yuk